We take the headache out of bottling on-site, however we do have some requirements to ensure the best process possible. Please read through the following requirements prior to booking your mobile bottling appointment and contact us if you have any questions. Already booked? Fill out the Wine Specifications form here.
- Prior to bottling day, the winery will need complete wine filtration (we have mobile cross flow filtering coming online soon); wines that will be sterile filtered at bottling must be sterile filtered (EK) by the winery. The bottling line provides additional sterile filtering using .45 micron membrane filters to protect against any possible variables or potential contamination between the initial filtration at the winery and completed, bottled product.
- The winery will need to ensure wine entering the line is approx 60° F. This is particularly important during hot summer months.
- On bottling day, the winery will provide physically-capable staff to assist the bottling truck (a minimum of five individuals are required, six is recommended). This staff ensures the bottling process goes as quickly and smoothly as possible. One winery staff person will place cases of bottles onto the unscrambling table, one will pack bottles into empty cases, two will label cases, date stamp each case, and stack cases onto pallet. A machine will tape the cases.
- Provide a forklift and trained operator, or make other arrangements to manually place pallets of empty bottles on the bottling line pallet rotator lift.
- Provide a hose to transfer from wine tank to the bottling line with a standard 1 1/2″ tri-clover fitting
- Provide potable water for bottle rinsing (a garden hose works for this purpose)
- Provide gas for sparging empty bottles (carbon dioxide or nitrogen are most commonly used). One large cylinder of CO-2 is sufficient for 1200 cases of cork bottles, while one large bottle of nitrogen will sparge 500 cases of cork bottles. PLEASE NOTE – stelvin/screwcap closures are sparged an additional time, so one large cylinder of CO-2 is good for about 900 cases and one large bottle of nitrogen about 375 cases.
The winery should double-check supplies prior to make sure boxes contain the expected supplies (bottles, labels, etc) to prevent bottling delays. Don't forget that if you buy bottles from us that we use on the truck you receive a $0.25 discount per case.
Payment is due upon completion of bottling, please be prepared to handle this in a timely manner.
- Labels are to be printed “copy position three (3)”, wound on a three (3) inch core, and each finished roll will be thirteen (13) inches in diameter when possible.
- Front and back labels will be separate rolls.
- Label size is basically limited to if it will go on the bottle, the labeling machine can do just that.
- Remember, the labels must be placed on a flat surface or face of the bottle.
- Proper pressure sensitive adhesives are critical. East Coast Mobile Bottling strongly recommends the use of AT-20 as an excellent all-conditions adhesive.
- The labels must have a space between each label for electric eye sensing. This gap is normally 3-4mm or 1/8 inch. (If the labels are a clear film or see through material, a sequencing bar must be printed on the web between each label).